In this article we are going to cover GitOps with ArgoCD Pipeline | How does ArgoCD works | Operational Flow of Argo CD.
GitOps with ArgoCD Pipeline
Lets understand above GitOps with ArgoCD Pipeline Workflow Diagram
- The code is pushed to the code repository like GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket etc
- The code is built and tested in the CI platform like Jenkins, GitLab CI, GitHub Actions
- The code is shipped to artifactory and Docker image is built and pushed to a registry.
- The CI pipeline commits and pushes a new version into to the Deployment repository.
- GitOps Repo which consists of deployment config,sync policy of one or more multiple Kubernetes clusters, Supports for multiple config management (kustomize, Helm, Jsonnet, plain-YAML)
- This push triggers a synchronization: the new code is automatically deployed to the target Kubernetes Clusters
- The Kubernetes clusters Monitored and alerting by tools like Prometheus, Grafana, Cloudwatch, etc.,
How does ArgoCD Works?
- Application Definition: Developers define the desired state of applications in Git repositories, using manifests or declarative files. These manifests specify the desired configuration for the application’s components, such as pods, services, and deployments.
- Git Repository Changes: When changes are made to the application manifests in the Git repository, a webhook triggers Argo CD to initiate the synchronization process.
- Cluster Reconciliation: Argo CD compares the desired state from the Git repository with the actual state of the Kubernetes cluster. It identifies any discrepancies and generates a list of required changes.
- Kubernetes Controller: Argo CD, acting as a Kubernetes controller, applies the necessary changes to the cluster resources to bring them in line with the desired state. This includes creating, updating, and deleting Kubernetes objects according to the manifests.
- Continuous Monitoring: Argo CD continuously monitors the cluster and compares the updated state with the desired state. If there are any further discrepancies, it automatically applies the necessary changes to maintain synchronization.
- Status Reporting: Argo CD provides a visual dashboard and status reports that indicate the current state of applications, along with any discrepancies or pending synchronization actions.
In summary, Argo CD simplifies and automates the deployment and management of applications in Kubernetes environments. It promotes consistency, reduces manual intervention, and enables developers to focus on building applications rather than managing infrastructure details.
In this article we have covered GitOps with ArgoCD Pipeline | How does ArgoCD works | Operational Flow of Argo CD.