In this article we are going to cover Introduction about PHP, What is PHP, Why We Use PHP, Features Of PHP, Different ways to Install PHP and PHP Programming Basics.
Introduction about PHP
What is PHP ?
Php is an acronym for “PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. PHP is a server-side scripting languages. PHP is an open-source, interpreted, and object-oriented scripting language that can be executed at the server-side. PHP is well suited for web development.
- PHP stands for Hypertext pre-processor.
- PHP is an interpreted language
- PHP is server-side scripting language.
- PHP is faster than other scripting language.
- PHP is an object-oriented language.
- PHP is an open-source scripting language.
- PHP is easy and simple to learn.
What is PHP File?
- PHP code is executed on the server, and the result is returned to the browser as plain HTML
- PHP files have extension “.php”
Why We Use PHP?
- PHP runs on various platform.
- PHP handles dynamic content, which is used to design the dynamic web applications.
- It helps to encrypt the data and apply validation.
- You can create session in PHP
- PHP is free. Download it from the official PHP resource
- PHP is easy to learn and rules efficiently on the server side.
- PHP can create, open, read, write, delete, and close files on the server.
- PHP can collect form data.
- PHP can add, delete, modify data in your database.
- PHP can encrypt data.
- PHP can send and receive cookies.
Features Of PHP:
- Platform Independent
- Database Support
- Web Servers Support
Different ways to Install PHP:
- WAMP for Windows
- LAMP for Linux
- MAMP for Mac
- SAMP for Solaris
- XAMPP (Cross, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl)for Cross Platform)
Once you complete installation open server Control panel and start Apache and MySQL.
PHP Programming Basics:
<?php PHP code ?>
<? PHP code ?>
Comments in php:
(//): for Single Line
(/*…*/): for multiple lines
Hello World php program:
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <body> <h1>Welcome to FOSSTechNix</h1> <?php echo "Hello World!"; ?> </body> </html>
Note: PHP statements ends with semicolon(;).
Hello World PHP program with Case Sensitivity:
In PHP, keywords (e.g. if, else, while, echo, etc.), classes, functions, and user-defined functions are not case-sensitive.
Example of Echo in PHP:
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <body> <?php ECHO "Hello World!<br>"; echo "Hello World!<br>"; EcHo "Hello World!<br>"; ?> </body> </html>
Example of color in php (case Sensitivity):
Look at the example below; only the first statement will display the value of the $color variable! This is because $color, $COLOR, and $coLOR are treated as three different variables:
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <body> <?php $color = "red"; echo "My dress color is " . $color . "<br>"; echo "My top color is " . $COLOR . "<br>"; echo "My shoes color is " . $coLOR . "<br>"; ?> </body> </html>
We have covered Introduction about php, What is PHP, Why We Use PHP, Features Of PHP, Different ways to Install PHP and PHP Programming Basics.
How To Install PHP 7 On Ubuntu 18.04/16.04 LTS
How to Install Laravel on Ubuntu 20.04/18.04 LTS
How to Install PHP on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
How to Install Memcached on Ubuntu 18.04/16.04 LTS