In this article we are going to cover Prometheus Tutorial for Beginners, Prometheus Architecture,Components of Prometheus Architecture.
Table of Contents
What is Prometheus?
Prometheus is an open-source monitoring system with a modular architecture that consists of several core components working together to collect, store, and alert on metrics from various targets
What Does Prometheus Do?
Prometheus gathers metrics from your applications and infrastructure. These metrics represent various aspects of your systems’ performance, such as CPU usage, memory consumption, request latency, and more. Prometheus collects these metrics over time, allowing you to understand trends, identify anomalies, and troubleshoot issues.
Prometheus Architecture and its Components
Key Components of Prometheus Architecture
- Prometheus Server: The core component responsible for data collection, storage, querying, and alerting.
- Time Series Database (TSDB): Stores time-series data efficiently, enabling fast querying and analysis of metrics.
- Data Model: Defines how metrics are organized using metric names, labels, and values.
- Exporters: These are tools that expose metrics from third-party systems as Prometheus metrics. Since Prometheus can only scrape metrics in its
- Service Discovery: services are identified which are need to scraped.
- Alert Manager: Handles alerts sent by the Prometheus server. It is responsible for deduplicating, grouping, and routing them to the correct receiver such as email, PagerDuty, or OpsGenie. It also takes care of silencing and inhibition of alerts.
- Pushgateway: A middleware component that accepts metrics from jobs that cannot be scraped. This is typical for short-lived jobs or batch jobs that don’t expose an HTTP endpoint long enough for Prometheus to scrape. Metrics are pushed to the Pushgateway, and then Prometheus scrapes the Pushgateway to collect these metrics.
- Targets: Any system or service that exposes metrics via an HTTP endpoint. This could be applications, infrastructure components, or external services.
- Client Libraries: Libraries for instrumenting applications and services to expose their own metrics in a Prometheus-compatible format.
- PromQL: The query language used to query and analyze metrics stored in Prometheus.
- Visualization Tools: Various tools and dashboards can be used to visualize the metrics collected by Prometheus, such as Grafana.
- The Prometheus server is the core component responsible for scraping, storing, and querying metrics data.
- The Prometheus server is designed for reliability and scalability, allowing it to handle large volumes of metrics data from numerous targets.
Here’s a breakdown of its functionalities:
- The Prometheus server regularly scrapes metrics data from configured targets.
- It supports various protocols like HTTP, HTTPS, and SNMP for scraping metrics endpoints.
Prometheus Configuration File:
- The Prometheus configuration file is where you define the targets to scrape, the time intervals for scraping, and other configuration settings.
- The Prometheus configuration file is written in YAML format and defines various aspects of Prometheus’ behavior.
- The global configuration section contains settings that apply globally to Prometheus.
- This includes parameters like the scrape interval, which determines how often Prometheus scrapes metrics from targets.
scrape_interval: Defines the interval at which Prometheus scrapes metrics data from targets.
evaluation_interval: Specifies the interval at which Prometheus evaluates alerting rules.
- Scrape configuration defines the targets that Prometheus should scrape for metrics data.
- Each scrape configuration specifies a job name and a list of targets to scrape. These targets could be specific endpoints or services
job_name: Identifies a logical group of targets.
static_configs: Defines static targets to scrape, such as specific IP addresses and ports.
Prometheus Tutorial for Beginners
We have categorized below Basic Practical Prometheus Tutorial for Beginners which will help to those who want to start learning Prometheus.
Prometheus Configurations File
PromQL Tutorial with Examples
Monitoring Linux and Windows Server with Prometheus
Monitoring Docker Containers with Prometheus
Monitoring Jenkins with Prometheus and Grafana
Monitoring Kubernetes Cluster with Prometheus and Grafana
We have covered Prometheus Tutorial for Beginners.